Thursday, October 26, 2006

I Want to Be Transformed

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- which is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:1-2

If you are Christian, have spent time in church or reading the Bible, the above passage is probably familiar. I read it again while hastily doing my bible study "homework" this week. The study is called Real Faith and it's a back-to-basic study, a fantastic reminder of what studying the Bible and being a Christian is all about. The passage wasn't for study however, but used as an example of how to break down scripture for interpretation and application.

I couldn't help but be confronted by the words.

Most of my adult life, I've always said that I've longed to give more of myself to the Lord. That if only I had a little more time in my day, I'd spend it with Him. Well, since we've moved, I find myself with more time than I know what to do with. Our life has been pared down to the essential. Housecleaning doesn't fill my time, the apartment is small and easy to maintain. Laundry is done just 1 or 2 days a week, due to the facilities. I am not working outside of the home, a luxury I hope to maintain, but one I take for granted, I'm sure. One of my children is in school for half of each day, the other is growing more independent. My excuses have disappeared.

And yet, what have I done with this time? I've mentioned TV shows and silly websites, shopping and eating out. All things which aren't necessarily bad, but too many of these consume my time.

I don't bring this up because I want to change you, but because I want to be transformed. I seem to have a long list of prayer requests, but my time spent in prayer is minimal. I want to be transformed. When I think of this word, I can't help but think of the toy. I never played with Transformers myself, but the image of changing into something or someone totally new and fresh comes to mind, with new perspective and ability.

God's will is good, pleasing and perfect. I want to be in agreement with Him, to know that our needs are and will be met, perfectly. To erase the doubt, the questions I have about the way things sometimes happen. I can't do this without offering God all that I have, all that I am.

I know of many people, friends and family, who are experiencing a time of transition. Hard times right now. We are waiting to hear what the next step is going to be. I don't know what will happen from here, but I do know my next step: one that is humbly closer to my God. I am so thankful He allows me to come.

No comments: