Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sick & Tired (Literally!)

WARNING: This post contains (too much) information regarding sickness & what's known as 'spilling' in our house. Skip it & I won't be offended!! I've just got to vent!

Where do I begin? ... We enjoyed a lazy MEA break. No school for 4 days and we especially enjoyed our time off. So, we're at church on Saturday evening. I'm teaching our new Sat night format for K-2nd grades. We're excited because we're trying something new with music and puppets and skits - just great stuff. I'm running around the church a bit, placing signs to direct parents to our new location, setting up the room and making last-minute preparations. I told Nolan he could join the class since he'd be attending his 4-year old class for both services on Sunday while I'm "on", and because he was complaining of a tummy ache. Aside from the random complaint, however, he seemed fine, running around with friends. Well, it's 5:25 pm, and kids are arriving. We're playing games and getting ready for a fabulous time. Suddenly, Nolan approaches the group of kids I'm sitting with on the floor. I take one look at his gray little face and know it's coming. "My tummy!", he says... and it's all over. Literally. Nolan 'spilled' right then and there. (When Claire got sick for the first time as a toddler, her first reaction was to say "I spilled, Mommy!", and the term stuck.) Anyway, I scoop him up, but he's not done. Suddenly, I forget where I am, where the bathroom is, where the DOOR is! Someone directs me and we make our way down the hall, Nolan leaving his 'mark' as we go. We made it finally. Yuck.

So Nolan & I head home, Claire stayed with friends. Luckily we have several other teachers in the room, though I was the one teaching the Bible lesson. I put Nolan in the bath and he begged for food, "I promise I won't spill again, Mom!". You already know what happened next, and proceeded to happen for several hours. After along night and much worrying about what I was going to do about work the next morning, I was rescued by my friends & fellow co-workers. A friend came to hang with Nolan while I finally made it to teach during the second service.
(I then came home to a house full of strangers, wanting to look at the rental... but that's another story.)

We recovered. We made it - until last night... When Claire got sick. It's never happened that just one is ill without the other catching the bug. Hers wasn't as severe, thankfully, but she didn't go to school today. Instead she hung out in the Children's Ministry office with me this morning, watching DVDs and reading the latest Junie B Jones. We called it a day at lunchtime and we all came home for naps.

So why do I share my (pathetic) story? To get in on the "record", for one, although this weekend wasn't one I'll soon forget. But also to recognize the fact that millions of single parents go through this kind of thing ALL THE TIME. Whew! I'm worn out just typing it. Sorry. Bet you're wishing now you would have skipped it, huh?

No comments: