Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Great Room

I believe I have missed my calling.

I was born to be a wrestler. No, wait, that's Kelly. I was born to be a design blogger. Seriously, have you seen some of the blogs out there? Some are truly great. They share funny stories, but mostly give decorating/interior design inspiration and advice. The very best ones are designers/decorators by trade. It is their job. Some do "virtual" design jobs - give advice based on pictures. People pay them to do this. The most popular ones have advertisers on their blogs and are read by thousands of readers every. single. day.

Can't you just see it? Me, sitting in a stylish office, surrounded by color wheels and design magazines (currently being referred to as "shelter mags") typing, blogging, inspiring?! I would paint and re-paint my house, constantly re-arrange my furniture and make really crafty projects that YOU would want to copy. Again, people would pay me, just to be part of my blog.

Major companies would GIVE me things to try out and share on my blog. Then they would give me more free things to give away to my readers. I might even get to re-do my kitchen on someone else's dime, if I just write about the experience.

THIS IS FOR REAL, PEOPLE! How did I miss this? I guess while I was busy having babies, decorating my own house (dreaming of having my own consulting biz), and going back to work, I missed the whole pay-me-to-blog train. Oh, I caught the blog-about-whatever-you-want-and-maybe-a-friend-or-family-member-will-read-it-but-no-one-will-PAY-you train. Yeah, I'm in First Class. Oh, well.

As long as I'm on the topic, let me share some of my very favorites. There are waaay too many design blogs out there that well, aren't so good. Here are a few of the best:


Oh - and if you were wondering, mine would be called thegreatroom.com and it would be FABULOUS!! (Get it - The Great Room? A great room is a large family room/dining area... and it's Great! Am i amazing or what?!)

No comments: