Wednesday, June 23, 2010

enduring

[Ed Note: I realized that I haven't blogged in awhile. My goal is to return to my former blogging "style" (ie more thoughtful posts). I have a lot to catch up on, but bear with me as i get my creative juices flowing again.]

Kelly's younger brother, Scott, nephew and father left for Texas just minutes ago. We enjoyed a visit with them while Scott was on leave from Ft. Collins, his current Army assignment in Colorado Springs. Scott has been in the Army for just under 2 years now, and his station is about to change. On July 6th he will leave for Afghanistan. He left a copy of his orders for us, and as I looked them over, the first thing I noticed were the words Operation Enduring Freedom.

It's been a long time since I've heard those words. The actions that began this war took place when Claire was 3 months old. Claire will turn 9 next week.

To be perfectly honest, I am not as educated or as knowledgeable about this war as I should be. It's not something I've really thought too much about lately. Nearly the past decade (and all of my children's lives) this war has continued on, and it has filtered into the background of our lives. Until now.

Now it's OUR brother, OUR uncle, OUR son who will be driving, fueling, fighting. It's personal. Close to home. And now I remember that it is enduring. For OUR freedom.

No comments: