Friday, April 17, 2009

Mailbox Love

I love magazines. We used to get lots of different subscriptions. Elle Decor, Parenting, Sunset, Gourmet, Better Homes & Gardens, ESPN (okay, that one is technically Kelly's, but I read it too). But slowly my subscriptions ended and I didn't renew them. We've moved a few times in the past couple of years and I just didn't keep up. Chances are, I have a couple of them floating around from mailbox to mailbox, searching for the Spann Fam!

Recently, I've been mourning the loss of the feeling I'd experience when I opened the mailbox and saw a magazine waiting for me. It was all I could do to wait for a free moment to curl up in my comfy chair with something yummy to drink and lose myself in the pages.

I'm quite systematic about how I read a magazine, however. First time through, I casually peruse the pages, reading a paragraph here and there, from front to back. I wait to read the more lengthy articles, and try to make it "last" as long as I possibly can. Sometimes I'll mark the pages where I see a really great tip or story that moves me. After several weeks of revisiting, it goes in my magazine basket, where I'll pick it up again in 6 months or so. If, at that time, nothing strikes me, it's headed for the recycle bin. Otherwise, I may save an entire issue or just clip what I really love.

But I digress... (in case you didn't notice!).

I've indulged in the world of paper love once again. I'm already receiving Real Simple and Kelly's getting ESPN again. I put my card in the mailbox yesterday to order Country Living & Good Housekeeping. Both magazines for a year for... wait for it... $12!! Can you really beat that??

So now I wait. But going to the mailbox will be exciting again. And as I mentioned before, I'm looking for a little excitement. I'll take it any way I can get it!


No comments: