Friday, May 25, 2007

24 Hours

It's true - I've survived the first 24 hours of my summer without Kelly. It's not the first time I've gone it alone, nor will it be the last... alas, the life of a coach's wife. I'm actually accustomed to Kelly traveling for baseball, he's been gone for up to 2 weeks at a time before. But 8 (or possibly more, depending on playoffs) weeks is something new. It did feel a little bit strange as I was emptying the dishwasher this evening, putting away Kelly's favorite coffee mug, knowing that he won't use it for 2 months.

I didn't expect an emotional goodbye last night at the airport (I don't know why, I am one serious crybaby) but when Claire got upset as we hugged and prayed, I couldn't help but get teary. Nolan was our strong one, he usually is. What can I say, I lean on my 4-year old for emotional support! After a quick flight, late night and 9 or so hours of driving today, Kelly has landed in Kansas City, safe and sound.

Claire, Nolan & I kicked off our "vacation" (Claire actually has 2 weeks left of school) with a movie sleepover night. Okay, no one is actually sleeping over, but we watched Mary Poppins (a first for the kids), ate popcorn and Claire & Nolan are sleeping in the family room in sleeping bags. It's a new Friday night ritual... I have a list of all those great family movies that I enjoyed as a kid.

And to Kelly (I know you're reading): We love & miss you. "Miss you means you want to be close to someone who is far away", Nolan continues to remind Claire & I. We do.

No comments: