Sunday, February 11, 2007

Valentimes

As February 14th approaches, our home is filled with cut out hearts, homemade cards and sweet treats. When asked if we have 'big plans' for Valentine's Day, Kelly & I laugh, sigh and say... no. As with most holidays, this one is for the kids. School parties, candy and small gifts make it special for them. And ask most men and they'll tell you that it's a "Hallmark holiday". Ask women and they'll tell you that it's nice to be remembered, even if it's dictated by a calendar.

Mostly, it reminds me that we should express our love and affection every day. The older I get (almost 30!) the more I realize how blessed I am to have what and who I have. I have a husband who is truly a best friend, kids I adore, family who loves me and a God who's love for me exceeds all others. Throw in a goldfish who has outlived 3 others and a move, and there's not much more a woman could ask for!

These days I'm learning two things: 1) To be content now. I don't know what's to come, but I can control how I feel about my current circumstance. Things that we're important to me just last year are taking a back seat. My priorities are shifting. 2) It's easy to love those who love us, who are like us, who know us. It's not so easy to love those who are different, have different opinions or just plain drive us crazy. But that's our calling. And often it involves a sacrifice on our part. Otherwise, would it really be love?

I hope this next week is filled with love & affection. As our kids say:
Happy Valentimes Day!!

No comments: