Monday, December 17, 2007

Connected!

The Spanns are finally connected to the internet again! (We got cable too, just when we didn't miss TV so much). But it's a good thing I'm online once again, since I have much to share!

First of all, we've found a church, First Baptist Church of Natchitoches. If you didn't already know, southern churches are very different than churches up north. We try not to compare, but that's hard to do. We've joined a Sunday School class... I chuckle a bit because it's technically called the "College & Career" class! It's really mostly married couples in their late 20s and early 30s, but we feel old, probably because we are. Everyone is very nice and welcoming, and we feel as though we found our church home.

So, my career as a "pay-for-it-girl" was short-lived. I put in 6 days, and that was just about all I could do. I didn't mind the work, or the people I helped, but rather the management was difficult and the pay... well, "paltry" is the word that comes to mind. So, I phoned to let them know it wasn't going to work out and they didn't seem surprised. Lots of turnover, I guess. But it's okay, because (drumroll)...

I've accepted a position at NSU!

I will be serving as an Administrative Coordinator for Student Services. I will be working with campus student groups to plan and purchase for their functions and events. I will also be working for the Director of Facilities, keeping the university's campus facility schedule. I interviewed with the VP of Student Services and he offered the position the same day. I start Jan 2nd, after the school closes for 2 weeks for the holidays.
The position will be busy, but a great place to be. I'm very excited!! Kelly and I will both be on campus, and next year we plan to send the kids to the Elementary Laboratory school, also at NSU. It's a family affair, what can I say?

The kids have just 4 days of school this week, then 2 weeks off for the holidays. It's cooled off a bit, but the sun is still shining and it's warm enough to play outside (I'm pretty sure it's always warm enough to be outside, but it depends on who you ask!). We'll definitely spend lots of time outdoors during our break. My thoughts turn to those who have ice & snow, but no electricity. It's hard to believe that we're on the same continent, truly!

It's a low-key, simple holiday for us this year. And we're happy with that. We miss family & friends, and do long to see everyone. But we've had a busy year, so I'm content with ending 2007 simply. I have a feeling that 2008 will be just as busy, so I'm gearing up.

So - now that I'm back online, I won't be stopping by the library as often, I'm sure the gals down there will miss me. Send me a note, I'd love to hear from you!

Mary Christmas! (Claire's version - "Mary is Jesus' mom, Mom!")

No comments: