Friday, May 04, 2007

All About Angela

While my last post focused on our kids, it occurred to me that I haven't shared much about my new job. This is my fifth week in the classroom and while I'm just getting the hang of things, the school year is ending. Just 2 more weeks remain in the preschool calendar. And though my paycheck says that I devote 9 hours a week to the school, my head, my heart and my watch tell me that it's much more!

While I was hired to work one-on-one with a certain little girl, I've had the privilege to spend time getting to know all the children. Sixteen 3 & 4 year olds give a "grown-up" a different perspective on life! The girl I work with is amazingly intelligent. Her struggles are with the social aspect of things. She often cries, doesn't handle it well when she doesn't get her way and her need to be in control often conflicts with what is happening in the classroom. She is unable to focus for even short amounts of time has the uncanny ability to turn into a "noodle" at any given time. She and I have formed a strong relationship in a relatively short time and we enjoy our time spent together. If we only have to leave the room once or twice, I consider the morning a success. She & her parents are getting lots of help, and she has been undergoing testing this week, both inside and outside the classroom.

She & I may be together next year, as I am teaching in a 4-5 year old classroom. My duties will be broader and I will have a bigger role in teaching, including Bible & prayer and craft time. I'm really looking forward to being a part of the team for the duration of the year. The "team" is a relatively large group of teachers, all who happen to be women. We meet daily for prayer and Wednesdays for a time of devotions or testimony. I shared this week and am enjoying getting to know this great group.

My Thursday morning Bible study is also coming to an end. I've been with the same group since the fall and we've enjoyed a really great study. I've been reminded to be intentional in everything I do. It's long-past time I focus not only on my vertical relationship with God, but also the horizontal. How am I affecting the world around me?

And the newest addition, our friend Katie, spends one, sometimes two days a week with us. She's a fun addition to our day and we're so glad to have her. She'll continue to spend time with us throughout the summer. There is a possibility that I may watch her during the school year, but it's something I'm still praying about. The children's pastor at our church may have some duties I can fill there, but details are yet to be decided. It's likely that I'll have to "choose", so I pray I'll do so wisely. But I can't complain... I'm blessed to have choices! I've feel as though I've gone from 0 to 60 in just minutes, but it's good for me and I'm so thankful for the fullness of life!

I'm looking forward to summer, though bracing myself for when Kelly leaves in 4 weeks. Many great things to anticipate though: growing and tending a garden with Claire, the remainder of soccer & t-ball season, a visit from my sister and nephew, our trip to Kansas City, birthdays, anniversaries and lots and lots of sunshine.

But enough about me... I'd love to hear from you! Have a great weekend!

No comments: